Orthodontic treatment has a multitude of benefits. In addition to straightening your smile and improving your self-esteem, it can make your teeth easier to clean and protect them from decay. A well-aligned smile often restores facial symmetry as well.
Scavuzzo Dental Care creates customized orthodontics for patients of all ages. Our extended hours and welcoming atmosphere make visiting our office for adjustments, new aligners and follow-up appointments easy and enjoyable.
If you’d like to enhance your smile, call 303-741-2727 or use the form on this page to schedule your complimentary orthodontic consultation. We proudly serve patients in Centennial and Highlands Ranch, Colorado.
Read more about our orthodontic services by reading the sections below:
- Do I need orthodontics?
- Orthodontic options
- The right orthodontic treatment for you
- Traditional metal braces
- Caring for you teeth after orthodontics
- Cost of orthodontic treatment
- Financing your orthodontic treatment
- Contact our Centennial and Highlands Ranch dentist
The American Dental Association recommends that children undergo an orthodontic evaluation at age seven so bite problems can be corrected early on, while there is still a good mix of primary and adult teeth. However, more than 30 percent of orthodontic patients in the United States are adults.
No one is born with perfect teeth, and patients young and old may need orthodontics to improve teeth functionality and achieve an aesthetically pleasing smile.
You may be a candidate for orthodontics if you do not like the appearance of your smile and have one or more of the following dental abnormalities:
- Crowded or crooked teeth
- Irregularly spaced teeth
- Open bite
- Malocclusion or an uneven bite
- Incorrect jaw positioning
- Jaw-joint disorder, such as TMJ
To know for sure, schedule your free orthodontic consultation at Scavuzzo Dental Care.
Once Dr. Scavuzzo has determined that you’re a candidate for orthodontics, he will perform an oral and facial examination, take digital dental X-rays of your mouth and create digitally enhanced impressions of your teeth to develop your individualized treatment plan.
No two patients are the same, which is why we offer three orthodontic options to meet your unique needs. These include:
- ClearCorrect: Often referred to as invisible braces, this method uses a series of transparent aligners to straighten your teeth. ClearCorrect works best on adults and teenagers with milder bite problems. It is not recommended for children or seniors.
- Fastbraces®: As the name implies, this is a faster alternative to standard braces. Fastbraces® uses metal brackets and wires to adjust your bite, and with a patented technology, it expedites the time it takes to realign your teeth.
- Traditional metal braces: This classic form of orthodontia works on patients of all ages and can correct a wide range of malocclusion issues, often for the lowest cost.
During your complimentary orthodontic consultation, Dr. Scavuzzo can help you pick one of these options.
There are many factors to think about before choosing an orthodontic method to straighten your teeth. While Dr. Scavuzzo can advise you on an appropriate option, you should consider the following before your initial consultation:
- Treatment goals: ClearCorrect and Fastbraces® are designed to treat mild to moderate malocclusions while traditional metal braces can correct more complex bite problems.
- Your budget: The cost of your orthodontics will vary based on the method you choose, as well as your treatment time. Ultimately, you should base your decision on expected outcomes rather than cost. Our flexible financing options make paying for treatment easy.
- Your lifestyle: Are you willing to clean your braces after each meal, or is that something you cannot commit to long term? Do you want to eat without any dietary restrictions, or are some restrictions a reasonable compromise for a straighter smile? Are you okay wearing metal brackets and wires on your teeth, or would clear aligners make you more comfortable? These are all questions to ask yourself before choosing between our three orthodontic options.
- Time commitment: A beautiful, straight smile won’t happen overnight, but be realistic about how much time you can devote to treatment. Bear in mind that a quicker treatment time could mean a higher cost.
ClearCorrect is an invisible alternative to traditional metal braces that uses clear, plastic aligners to adjust your smile. Your removable aligners are custom-made to gradually shift your teeth over time and are best for milder bite problems, including:
- Crowded, crooked or rotated teeth
- Spacing between teeth
Treatment is performed in four phases. Each phase requires a new set of aligners that are worn for three weeks at a time. You will need to wear your aligners any time you are not eating or drinking. They should also be removed when brushing and flossing.
Treatment time takes one to two years depending on your condition. Based on the severity of your misalignment, Dr. Scavuzzo will recommend one of the following ClearCorrect options:
- Unlimited: You will receive as many aligners as needed to correct your bite
- Limited 12: You will receive 12 sets of aligners to correct your bite
- Limited 6: You will receive 6 sets of aligners to correct your bite
ClearCorrect is an easy, comfortable and virtually undetectable way to move your teeth. Without the need for regular adjustments, you’ll enjoy fewer trips to our office. You’ll also have the freedom to eat what you want without any restrictions, and you can easily remove your aligners when enjoying your favorite foods.
It’s a common misconception that heavy force is the best way to shift teeth. In fact, the greater the force, the slower your teeth will move.
Fastbraces® change the positioning of your teeth using a gentle, natural force that mimics how your teeth erupt in your mouth. With a more advanced design than conventional braces, Fastbraces® adjustments tend to be more comfortable and less time-consuming. In addition, the treatment time for Fastbraces® is less than half that of standard braces.
Fastbraces® can address many of the same orthodontic problems that regular braces do, including:
- Open bites
- Crowded or crooked teeth
- Spaces or gaps between teeth
After a matter of days in Fastbraces®, most patients begin to notice changes in their smiles. Depending on your orthodontic needs, treatment time can range between 45 and 152 days, with an average treatment time of 100 days.
Traditional metal braces are a proven method for correcting misaligned teeth. Since they rely on small adjustments to brackets and wires in order to move your teeth, they give Dr. Scavuzzo the most control over your final results.
Today’s metal braces are much smaller and less noticeable than they used to be. We also offer a wide range of bracket and elastic colors, so you can choose between a subtler appearance or brighter shades that express your personality.
Traditional metal braces are fixed to your teeth, so you don’t have to worry about misplacing removable aligners. Treatment time can take one to three years depending on what you’re correcting, and you will need to visit our office every four to six weeks for adjustments.
You should avoid sticky and hard foods since these can damage your braces, as can foods high in sugar or acid content. Brushing after each meal and using a waterpik to clean underneath wires will help ensure good oral hygiene and a beautiful smile once your braces are removed.
Once your orthodontic treatment is complete, you’ll have a new, straight smile that can last a lifetime with the right care. Be sure to follow Dr. Scavuzzo’s post-braces tips, which include:
- Brushing after each meal
- Flossing once a day
- Scheduling regular dental cleanings at our office
After braces, you may need to wear a retainer to help your teeth completely settle into their new position. A retainer can also help prevent your teeth from shifting over time. Clean your retainer each day with a soft-bristled toothbrush, and store your retainer in its case when it’s not being worn.
If you’ve had traditional metal braces or Fastbraces®, you may experience minor sensitivity once they are removed. Reintroduce hard, crunchy and chewy foods slowly until sensitivity subsides.
The cost of braces generally ranges between $3,000 and $7,000, but this can vary based on the following factors:
- Type of orthodontics
- The severity of your bite problems
- Length of treatment
Adults tend to require longer and more intensive treatment since a developed jaw and teeth usually need more manipulation.
Depending on your results, certain cosmetic dentistry options can further enhance your smile. When this is the case, the cost of your total treatment could increase.
Standard dental insurance may not cover the cost of braces, but check the details of your plan to be sure. Plans that do include braces typically cover around 50 percent of the cost. Discount dental programs can also help reduce the price of orthodontics, generally by about 20 percent.
While we accept most dental plans, insurance is not the only way to finance your orthodontic treatment. At Scavuzzo Dental Care, we want all of our patients to love their smiles. That’s why we offer several financing options, including a monthly payment plan, so you can get the care you need.
We’re happy to discuss your unique circumstances and can help you create a plan for affording your orthodontics.
To schedule your free orthodontic consultation with Dr. Scavuzzo, call 303-741-2727 or use the form on this page. Scavuzzo Dental Care serves patients in Centennial and Highlands Ranch, Colorado.