Missing teeth can be an unsightly and embarrassing problem that keeps you from smiling to hide the issue. However, their adverse effects aren't just cosmetic. If you lose teeth and don't replace them, that could lead to serious oral health issues, including deterioration of your jawbone, joint and muscle pain in your jaw, and additional tooth loss.
However, if you're missing teeth, you have options. Dental implants are a tooth-replacement solution that can last a lifetime with proper care. They are also the only treatment that replaces not just the tooth, but the root and the entire tooth structure. They're the best tooth-replacement option for your long-term oral health.
At Scavuzzo Dental Care, we've served the Front Range for more than 30 years. Our board-certified family and cosmetic dentist Dr. Frank Scavuzzo is proud to offer dental implants because he believes that everyone deserves a healthy, beautiful smile. We serve Centennial, Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree, and nearby areas of Colorado. Call (303) 741-2727 today to schedule a consultation.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are the most durable, most reliable, longest-lasting tooth replacement solution available. Implants replace not only the tooth, but the entire root structure. They consist of three parts: a titanium anchor, an abutment, and a crown.
The titanium anchor will be implanted into your jawbone to replace the root. The abutment will be placed on top of it to create a foundation for the crown. The crown is the only visible part of your implant.
What Can Dental Implants Do?
Dental implants can address a variety of oral issues, including:
- Replacing a missing tooth
- Anchoring dental bridges
- Maintaining jawbone integrity
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants have wide-ranging benefits for your oral health as well as the appearance of your smile, such as:
- Permanence: Implants fuse into your jawbone and become a part of your mouth. They are as strong as your natural teeth. With proper oral hygiene, they can last forever.
- Better oral health: As dental implants integrate into your jawbone, they strengthen it. This prevents further deterioration of your jawbone, more tooth loss, and facial collapse.
- Comfort and convenience: Unlike dentures, implants don't have to be removed. No one will be able to tell that you have an artificial tooth restoration. Because they feel and act like your natural teeth, their level of comfort exceeds other tooth-replacement options.
- Improved self-confidence: With your missing tooth replaced, you'll have a smile you want to show off.
Am I a Candidate for Dental Implants?
Ideally, dental implant candidates meet the following criteria:
- You're missing a tooth or multiple teeth
- You have adequate jawbone density to support the implant
- You don't suffer from gum disease
- You don't smoke or are willing to quit smoking for the duration of the implant process
- You don't have any bite alignment issues
If you lack the necessary bone density to support a dental implant, you have options. You may be able to undergo a bone graft to give your jaw enough strength to hold the implant. Additionally, if you have gum disease, it can be treated before you begin the implant process.
The Dental Implant Process
Dental implant surgery is a multi-stage process that can take from six months to a year. If you need a bone graft or treatment for gum disease, that will have to be done first. Once your graft is complete and your condition treated, you can move on to the implant process.
The first step is surgically implanting the titanium root into your jawbone. After this, the titanium will fuse into your jawbone through a process called osseointegration. This stage will take about three to six months to complete. You may experience some swelling, discomfort, and discoloration in your gums during the healing process.
Next, Dr. Scavuzzo will attach the abutments to your implants. You will need several days to heal after this. Then, Dr. Scavuzzo will begin customizing your crowns. He will take impressions of your mouth to create a model that will be used to shape the crowns. They will also be tinted to match the color of your surrounding teeth. It will seamlessly blend in with your smile. Once Dr. Scavuzzo attaches the crown to the abutment, you'll be ready to enjoy your new smile.
Dental Implant Recovery
Healing after dental implant surgery happens in several stages. The most extensive phase of recovery happens after your titanium root is implanted into your jaw. These steps can help that process go as smoothly as possible:
- Take the day after the procedure off
- Eat soft foods
- Avoid hard or sticky foods
- Don't smoke for the duration of your recovery
How Long Do Dental Implants Last?
With proper care, dental implants can last forever. You care for them the same way you care for your natural teeth. To get the most out of your implants, make sure you:
- Brush your teeth for at least two minutes twice per day
- Wash using an antibacterial mouthwash at least once per day
- Floss at least once per day
Schedule Your Centennial Dental Implants Consultation Today
Dr. Scavuzzo has served the Front Range for more than 30 years. When you come into our office, you'll be treated like part of our family. We serve Centennial, Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree, and nearby areas of Colorado. Call (303) 741-2727 today to schedule a consultation.