Periodontics Highlands Ranch, CO
Treat periodontal (gum) disease and decay.
There are several ways to treat periodontal (gum) disease. Periodontal disease is an infection of the gums and/or surrounding soft tissue. Caused by a buildup of bacteria, the best way to prevent such infections is to practice good brushing, flossing, and nutrition every day.
Beginning in small crevices where the tooth meets the gum, the infection can appear as only minor swelling or bleeding. As the infection progresses however, it moves deeper below the gum line where it forms large pockets of bacteria in and around the roots of the tooth. Left untreated the disease will decay the bone around the tooth and jaw, which may require a surgical procedure.
It is important to do everything possible to keep the disease from progressing with treatment of one or more of the following:
- Treat gum disease on an ongoing basis with periodontal maintenance.
- Tough buildup on teeth is removed with ultrasonic cleaning.
- Plaque, calcification, and buildup are removed with scaling and root planing.
- Periodontal infections can be more effectively eliminated with laser treatment
- Gum disease can be treated and prevented with pocket reduction surgery.
- Excessive gum tissue can be reshaped with crown lengthening.
- Soft Tissue Graft